Monday, December 8, 2008

Sam Cooke

Sam Cooke is the definition of a Soul singer.  His talent and music is immortal.  It's a shame that he died so young.  But, it just makes his music that much more precious.  He's on that list of people who died too soon, but their death made their music twice as valuable.  Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Robert Johnson, John Lennon, Marvin Gaye.  Part of the reason that I can't stop listening to the music these people wrote is that I know it's all I'm ever going to have from them.  Of course I don't have every demo version, live session, or B-side... but it's the fact that they're music catalog is complete.  I'll never get to see them live.  All I can do is watch documentaries and YouTube videos.

I've been lucky to see Stevie Wonder.  And I'll get to see B.B. later this month.  But what about James Brown?  What about everyone mentioned in the above paragraph?  New music is even more mouth watering.  I would go nuts for a new Hendrix album, or another Sam Cooke chart-topper.  Anyway, here's a couple Sam Cooke songs you should check out:

Sam Cooke - You Send Me
Sam Cooke - Wonderful World

No comments: