Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Recent Phase

Pop Music. I used to hate it, till I realized how much I can learn from listening to it. What makes people so attracted to it? Well, take "My Life Would Suck Without U." The lyrics are shallow, blunt, and boring... so why is it a hit?

#1. "4 on the Floor" - the bass drum hits every downbeat, making it a dance track, stimulating the listeners hand to tap along on the steering wheel.
#2. Catchy melodies - Self explanatory... But they are everywhere. the guitar riff, the verses, and...
#3. The Chorus - Who needs deep and profound lyrics when you've got a catchy melody hitting you within 40 seconds of the song starting? Not only that, but you're having it engrained intro your head by listening to it 4 times in the song.

The synth helps too. I wonder how that got in there.... Could it be because the co-writer/producer Dr. Luke (Lukasz Gottwald) also wrote and produced "I Kissed a Girl" and "Hot N Cold"? Yep. But the biggest reason pop music sells so much, is because it's written for a purpose. It must be marketable to the biggest group of music consumers.... mostly young girls.

So I've that I want to produce pop music (to pay the bills) and then produce the kind of music that I love, where I can be more creative.

No comments: