Thursday, March 19, 2009

White Sky


First I'd like to say that I'm happy that Fallon isn't bombing. He seems a little awkward but I'm sure it will wear off. Anyway, I'm a big fan of Vampire Weekend. I've had a live bootleg of this song for a while, and I saw them play it in November. I think they're sound is very unique and sophisticated for such a young band.

A lot of hipsters seem to think they're ripping off Paul Simon's Graceland, but I just listened to the whole album and I beg to differ. It's easy to see that they were influenced by it, but they aren't "ripping it off." The line between the two isn't easy to see without some musical background. To me, ripping something off implies stealing a melody or a lyric. The only thing VW has taken from Graceland are some of the sounds (using similar instruments) and the use of weaving various melodies into a song. Both of these are tools to write songs and make music, so how can anyone say that only Paul Simon is aloud to use them because he was the first person to bring it into pop culture?

It's not just VW that's getting shit for this kind of thing. Hipsters are always whining about how New Band A sounds too much like Old Band B. Let's stop comparing and just enjoy the music people are making.

No comments: